The Interpretive Center, called the Nature Barn, is an authentic converted 1938 barn.
As an emerging partner site with Silos & Smokestacks National Heritage Area, the center is currently in the midst of many exciting changes! The nature center is developing new displays to share the story of the land’s homesteading history and natural history.
The center is completely self-funded through grants, estate gifts, conservation groups, and supporting memberships from the community.
We provide a diverse natural space for visitors!
Wetland, woodland, & prairie trails open to the public dawn to dusk
The Nature Barn
One Room Schoolhouse
Prairie Pastures Dog Park
Ed Kennedy Memorial Butterfly Garden which is registered with Monarch Watch
A Little History
In 1840, the Fanger family moved from Ohio to homestead. The forty acres was given as a land grant to the Fangers at this time. The land was passed down in the Fanger family for more than a hundred years.
1938 Barn was built that is currently the nature barn interpretive center
1949 the property was purchased from the Fanger family by Charles A. and Mary Holm. Charles established “Eagle Point Stables” where purebred Palominos were bred and groomed.
1972 – Sold to Clinton City Park Board, became a nature center through a 501c3 being created to adopt and support the center and grounds.